Free Tax Prep LA made easy!
The City of Los Angeles offers its residents the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), a federal program which offers free tax help to people who generally make $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
NEW!!! ITIN workers now qualify for California state tax credits. The state of California has announced that the 2021 tax filing period will include undocumented ITIN filers who were previously ineligible for the California Earned Income Tax credit (CalEITC) and the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC).
IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals at various Family Source Centers throughout Los Angeles. File at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site and keep more of your money.
How Use to the Free Tax Preparation Service
Claim what’s yours! If you make less than $55,000, you may qualify for up to $9,310 cash back in combined state and federal earned income tax credits — but only if you file.
Make a Free Tax Prep appointment today. See hours and locations. Call the Family Source Center near you, and make an appointment using the contact information provided on this list.
For a full list of dates and locations for Free Tax Prep Services at select LAUSD schools, visit freetaxprepla.com.
Preparing for Your Tax Filing
What to Bring to For Your Tax Filing
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
About Family Source Centers
WHAT IS FAMILY SOURCE?
The FamilySource System is comprised of a network of 16 one-stop community centers, known as FamilySource Centers (FSC). The FSCs are located in high need areas of the City and provide a myriad of braided social, educational, work and family support services designed to assist low-income families to become more self-sufficient by increasing family income and academic achievement for youth and adults.
FREE SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Multi-Benefits Screening
- Information and Referral
- Case Management
- Financial Education and Coaching
- Credit Building
- Income Tax Preparation
- Incentivized Savings Programs
- Adult Education
- Computer Literacy
- ESL Classes
- Pre-Employment and Employment Support
- Immigration Services
- Parenting Classes
- College Corner
- Leadership Training
- Art & Cultural Activities
- Civic Engagement
The FSCs also host various community meetings, special events and activities, and provide volunteer opportunities for residents.
Who Family Source Centers Serve?
Low-income city residents with primary focus on families with children in middle and/or high school
Find a FamilySource Center Near You!
What You Need To Bring To Access Services:
- Proof you live in the City of Los Angeles
- Proof of Income
Free Tax Prep LA – Community Locations
*Indicates participating FSCs for the Homelessness Prevention Program, helping families avoid homelessness through eviction prevention, legal or relocation support.