Low Income Residents, Residents|

A proud senior standing in front of his home after receiving Handyworker services.

Handyworker Program

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Handyworker Program is completing limited, emergency repairs. In the meantime you can still contact us about how to apply at (213) 808-8803. Please leave a voicemail and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

The Los Angeles Housing + Community Investment Department (HCIDLA) Handyworker Program provides free minor home repairs for low income seniors and persons with disabilities to address basic health, safety, security, and accessibility needs to enable them to age at home.



  • Property must be located in the City of Los Angeles.
  • Homeowner 62 years and older, or
  • Homeowner living with a permanent disability, or
  • Homeowner living with family members with a permanent disability (limited repairs)
  • Renter, 62 years and older, or living with a permanent disability (limited repairs)
  • All applicants must be low income.


2020 Income Requirements for Handyworker Program

Number of People in Household 1 2 3 4 5
Total Annual Income $63,100 $72,100 $81,100 $90,100 $97,350

The Work We Do


  • Up to $5,000 for home modifications for homeowners
  • Up to $300 for safety devices for renters


  • Accessibility improvements: handrails, grab bars, disabled access toilets, alarms that flash lights, and ramps
  • Repair/replace broken windows and doors
  • Add quick releases to window security bars
  • Install safety devices such as smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and seismic shutoff valves
  • For renters: hand held showers, bath/shower seats, and grab bars


  • Major electrical, plumbing, roofing, and foundation repairs
  • Landscaping, tree trimming or tree removal
  • Repair or replacement of furniture or appliances
  • Repairs or painting of detached garages
  • Lead abatement, house cleaning, and pest control

How to Apply

  1. Collect documents to demonstrate eligibility:
    • Proof of age (state ID or driver’s license)
    • Proof of disability (if not senior 62 or older)
    • Proof of income (social security award letter, pay stubs, pension, etc.)
    • Proof of homeownership (property tax statement, grant deed, mobile home registration)
    • Proof of residency (recent utility bill)
    • Proof of financial assets (rental income, retirement accounts, investment accounts, etc.)
  2. Call us at (213) 808-8803 to find the nearest community partner that can help you with your application.
    • If TTY is needed to contact us, please use Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) such as Text-to-Voice TTY-based TRS, Speech-to-Speech Relay Service, Shared Non-English Language Relay Services, Captioned Telephone Service; IP Captioned Telephone Service, Internet Protocol Relay Service, or Video Relay Service.

Please note we get more applications than we are able to accommodate. There may be a waiting list for service. All work is subject to availability of funds. Program policies are subject to change.

Comments are closed.