Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the lead remediation for the Lead Hazard Remediation Program is currently suspended. We will resume the program implementation when it is safe for contractors to enter residents’ homes again. In the meantime, you can still contact us about how to apply at (213) 808-8935. Please leave a voicemail, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
The Lead Hazard Remediation Program (LHRP) provides grants to property owners to make their properties lead-safe and to eliminate health and safety hazards. The LHRP grants are primarily targeted to low-income families with children under the age of six. The program also provides education regarding the dangers of lead-based paint and health and safety hazards.
You can apply for a lead-safe grant if you are:
- A homeowner
- A tenant with permission from the owner
You are eligible to receive a lead-safe grant if you meet all of the following requirements:
- The property is located in the City of Los Angeles
- The building was built prior to 1978
- Your household income is 80% of the Area Median Income for the County of Los Angeles (see income eligibility chart below)
- The property must have lead-based paint hazards
- You have a child under six years old* residing or spending a significant amount of time** at the residence
**Defined by HUD as “at least two days within any week, provided that each day’s visit lasts at least three hours, the combined weekly visit lasts at least six hours and the combined annual visits last at least 60 hours.”
|2020 Income Limits|
|Number of persons in household||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Total Combined Income||$63,100||$72,100||$81,100||$90,100||$97,350||$104,550||$111,750||$118,950|
How to apply
- Fill out one of the following application forms:
- For owners applying for a rental property please fill out the Owner Non-Occupied Application
- Tenant Applications must be accompanied by the Owner’s Application as a complete application.
- Submit application to HCIDLA:
- By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered in person to one of our public counters located throughout Los Angeles. Your application must be made Attention to: Lead Hazard Remediation Program
- Delivered by mail:
Incomplete applications will delay project approval process.
If you would like to speak with a live person about this program, please call (213) 808-8935 or our toll-free hotline at (866) 557-RENT (7368). You can also visit one of our public counters located throughout Los Angeles.
For further information you can visit the following links:
Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch
How to protect your family and the sources of lead at home
Recalls on children’s products
Information regarding toys containing hazardous chemicals such as lead, arsenic, chromium, chlorine/PVC and mercury
Lead in holiday toys and toy jewelry